Re-Imagining Rural Healthcare
* Rural Medical Campus: Muddenahalli Village, Chikkaballapur District, Karnataka
Medical Education in India
-- Extremely competitive entry, limited seats
-- Burden of education loans & financial obligations
-- Inconsistent Curriculum and Teaching Quality
-- Graduates forced to pursue lucrative urban jobs
-- Unaffordable for poor & rural students
Building The First Free Medical College in India
Major shortage of doctors in Rural India
According to Article by thelancet.com on December 12, 2015 - Vol 386
India Struggles with Rural Doctor Shortages, Although the number of health facilities in rural areas of India have increased during the past decade, convincing doctors to work in them remains a challenge.
average ratio in Rural district of India
Why Free Healthcare & Education
The only long-term Sustainable solution
- Free-of-cost Health, Nutrition, Education were basic human rights in ancient India
- Purity and Integrity of Purpose
- Inspired students & faculty.
Model is Self Sustainable
- Free-of-Cost model successfully implemented in India and USA (eg. St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, Memphis, TN, Ramakrishna Mission Educational and Healthcare Institutions, India)
- Initial investments from donors, Foundations, Government schemes, Corporate CSR
- Self Sustained by insurance payments, Societal Goodwill, alumni and former patients.
How the Free Medical College sustains Itself
* To support graduation of 100 Medical Students each year
Alumni & Beneficiaries will also contribute over the longer term Societal Goodwill Contributions will continue to scale with time.
Rural Heathcare for All
Giving is Receiving
The Doctor for Doctor, Rural Education Program
SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM $6,000 / YEAR for 5 years
Given in donor’s name to educate one rural doctor.
Rural Students for Rural Impact
Education followed by Mandatory Rural Medical Service
- Rural India students: Selection priority for Free Medical Education
- Family income/assets below specific threshold
Undergraduate Education + Rural Service
- Bond for 5-year rural practice after 5-year MBBS degree Or payback the full cost of 5-year medical education
Postgraduate Education + Rural Service
Bond for 3 years of rural practice after 3-year Specialty training Or pay back the full cost of 3-year Specialty education
Timeline of a Medical practitioner for Rural Impact
The Big Plans
Educating a new generation of Rural Healthcare Professionals
- Promoting academic excellence combined with the values of love, compassion & gratitude.
- Free Medical Colleges with increased accessibility for rural students.
- Inspired doctors who want to go back and serve their communities or stay & serve in the mission.
* Rajeswari Memorial Academic Block